Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dear Diary

Dear Diary,

I picked up a copy of 'The Diaries of Kafka' from a bookstore yesterday.A friend who detests reading commented saying, 'it is a diary,it is someone's private property'.Yes,Kafka's diaries were his own till he died and his friend Max Brod decided to edit them and have them published(much to the probable chagrin of Franz Kafka;a tormented man writhing in his grave).The diaries are now available in large numbers,open to public scrutiny decades after his death.I'm not quite sure if Anne Frank or any other diarists, victimized by posthumous fame and the perils of posterity,find this amusing.

I'm positive that I should find such a thing revolting if my diaries were to be published instead of being burnt(or buried,whichever is ecologically beneficial).All the entries, driven by the most abject privation and desperation, may serve as fodder for a psychology class,but little thought goes into the quiet humiliation of the diarist.I realize that I am being hypocritical but Kafka's work cannot be read,it can only be felt.I am looking for a portal that will grant me that small glimpse into Kafka's world, so that I may understand the depth of his work.

I can make peace with the public circulation of my diaries once the content is comparatively abstruse.

5 comments:

ankita said...

Would he really mind as much if he knew his torment, once shared, made others feel they were not alone in theirs?

La Diva! said...

I see your point,but isn't torment really personal at times?

La Diva! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anuj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anuj said...

Post an update on what you think of the book. Personally, I'd give it a 6/10: some entries are spectacular, some appear rehearsed.

I remember buying the book when I had gone to meet Srichand, in Chicago. I began reading it while he was at office and decided, that even reading Kafka's diary could be considered a personal thing, especially if it has an influence on your mood.