Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Unsatisfactory Self Portrait

Last weekend I decided to while my time away by giving in to that faint artistic craving I feel when I look upon my untouched art supplies. I fished out a sheet of paper,a HB and a 2B pencil,a decrepit eraser and a drawing board.I sat facing my reflection in the mirror with not so much a sense of narcissism as with a sense of aesthetic censure.Self portraits are invariably deceptive.In this case it depicted the artist the way she wanted to be perceived; imperfect yet not quite herself.I seem to have got most of myself right.I wish I could boast of possessing a Parisian nose described by Victor Hugo as 'The despair of painters and the charm of poets'.My narcissism will only stop short of that kind of blatant gloating.Here's the fruit of my labor. I give you 'The Lost Diva'.

3 comments:

ankita anand said...

A person shouldn't be entitled to more than one talent in a lifetime.It leaves so many of us poorer.

La Diva! said...

Since I am equally endowed in several of such 'talents' I find it exceedingly difficult to excel in any one of them.I envy people who are entitled to a single talent in a lifetime.

Printemps said...

I welcome you to my blog...

Perhaps to reflect on ' the unsatisfactory Self Portrait...