Friday, February 08, 2008

Confessions from the Reading Room

Here's to John Galt,the man who stopped the motor of the world a.k.a. the answer to Ayn Rand's most pressing question,'Who is John Galt?'. I still cannot fathom how a near-radical ideology like objectivism can deliver so much peace to a reader. The motor of this blog came to a halt last week,with undersea cables going 'snap'. Nevertheless, it made enough room for introspection and some much needed inspection of my reading space.

I tend to rave about my bibliophilic tendencies without actually attributing any credit to the folks(my parents) who made bibliophilia synonymous with a way of life. I also owe them credit for my inclination towards art.Except that they love the impressionists and I whatever came towards the end of the impressionist movement,as a precursor to abstract art.(My only form of artistic rebellion.)

It is hardly surprising that the bookshelves are filled with books on impressionism. My mother says that she couldn't get enough of the impressionists when she visited the Louvre and other art museums in Europe.My particular favourite is a large hardbound volume on impressionism written entirely in German. It has pictures of great works by the impressionsit masters and analysis accompanying each painting.

Other books dying of neglect include 'Tess' by Thomas Hardy(the neglect in this case is intense enough to make me forget the complete title),'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee,'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' by Victor Hugo, 'Pastures of Heaven' by Steinbeck,'We the Living' by Ayn Rand,'Nineteen Eighty Four' by Orwell,'Gone With the Wind','Shirley' by one of the Bronte sisters, entire volumes by Dickens,O. Henry and Guy De Maupassant. Perhaps the hallmark of shame lies in the fact that I haven't read any of the books written in Bengali(which is supposedly my native tongue and the only language that I can speak and not read).I am reminded of the translations of Gitanjali and other works of art by Tagore, looking as good as new even after three years. (One can always use the condition of a book to confirm if all this biblio-gabble is true.)

I suppose I have my resolutions for this year charted out clearly, at least in the reading and writing department.I hereby pledge not to buy more than I can consume.

2 comments:

Gammafunction said...

Well Musee D'orsay is choc-a-bloc with impressionist works in Paris and I saw quite a bit of Degas,Monet,Renoir etc....there are no impressionist works in The Louvre I suppose.

La Diva! said...

Well I wouldn't know, I've never been there. One can never tell what the Louvre houses and what it doesn't. Besides, the Louvre wasn't the only museum my mom saw. If I'm not wrong there are some works by Van Gogh in the Louvre. I believe he was a borderline impressionist ;)