Friday, December 07, 2007

New Inhabitants in the Reading Room

I have two new gems in the reading room. 'The Brothers Karamazov' by Dostoyevsky (It's time I started calling the author Fyodor) and 'Love' by Toni Morrison. I have shelved 'Love' to a spot that is a tad difficult to reach because I find 'The Brothers Karamazov' extremely stimulating for the intellect. 'The Brothers Karamazov' must be the first Dostoyevsky masterpiece that I have read without shutting my eyes in despair.

Dostoyevsky argues about more things than just the usual grind (morality, hypocrisy and cruelty). He raves about the possible existence of God and Satan(I now believe I have the right to call him Fyodor, my agnostic soulmate),the right of a man to drink his cup of life and the usual tussle between matters of the flesh and those of the heart.I have never encountered 19th century Russian literature filled with so much blatant debauchery and so many twisted connotations.I like it!

Reading status:
Pages read:430
Pages left:610

P.S: I promise a blog entry that appears less histrionic and more 'processed'. The kind that one would expect from an adult.

No comments: