Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Updates From the Reading Room

It all happened the day after my birthday. I was out with a close friend and happened to stumble upon one of my favourite book stores(entirely on purpose). I was elated to see a clearance sale going on, so I marched in after having convinced my friend that it would be a great way to relax. I narrowed my choices down to 'The Diaries' of Kafka and 'Three Men in a Boat' by Jerome K. Jerome. I picked the latter(it is the appropriate choice for a girl who just got older).

'Three Men in a Boat' is about three dysfunctional men who decide to go on a trip to relieve themselves of the many tribulations of life. They take along a dog named 'Montmorency' and a lot of other paraphernalia on a boat for an idyllic week along the Thames. The book chronicles the entire 'vacation' from its conception to every last glitch and disaster. The author claims that it is based on incidents that actually took place. 'Three Men in a Boat,by the author's own admission, isn't endowed with literary brilliance or excessive verbosity. It scores because of the writer's excellent sense of satire and fatalism. The book is timeless in its appeal and is here to leave yet another generation of readers in splits.

Reading statistics:
pages read-122
pages left-101

Instances of inspiration: The book inspires people in Divaland to go on idyllic vacations with their dogs.

No comments: