Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Clearing the Smog

A lot of people must think that I have utter disdain for mainstream fiction, so I have decided to come clean and say it as it really is. I am really no one to judge someone else's work, but at the same time I have the right to admit whether I loved or hated a book. I have nothing against people who love mainstream fiction and I don't think that books that fall outside the mainstream are necessarily 'high brow'. The only issue I have with mainstream fiction is the forgettable quality that can be attributed to most of the books churned out. I can sit through something by Sidney Sheldon or Jackie Collins, but not with the same enthusiasm and patience with which I can absorb Dostoyevsky or Marquez. Oscar Wilde said,'People are neither good nor bad, just boring or tedious'. I suppose one can say the same about books. Every reader has the right to his or her own expectations. I will only say this to all my readers; all comments and entries on this blog are meant to be taken with buckets of salt (common, rock and all the other varieties of salt). Its not like I get paid to write this stuff!

ps: I'd like to thank my readers for commenting on my blog on such a regular basis. It makes the diva very pleased and 'pimps' up site statistics. However,the diva is always right.

3 comments:

Gammafunction said...

well that clears the air a bit.In fact,I have consciously avoided reading Sheldon 'coz there is not just enough time to read all the great works instead of wasting time on forgettable novels....

Gammafunction said...

oh and BTW any reason for the persistence of time to be your profile pic?

La Diva! said...

Not really, I saw the painting and loved it. It reminds me of the many times I wake up from a dream and don't know where I am.