Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Mototcycle Diaries


I had the immense pleasure of watching 'The Motorcycle Diaries', alone in the room that I call 'my thinking space'. First, I will admit that I am not a communist and don't ever intend to be one. I'm not even remotely political and I intend to remain that way for at least the next 15 years. Yet, in a strange way the film had an effect on me, more powerful than when inspiration flashes in front of one's eyes.

The film lacks the typical fanfare of an epic Hollywood blockbuster. It is unlike 'A Beautiful Mind' and many other biopics that dramatize to get an emotional response from the viewer. 'The Motorcycle Diaries' simply unfolds as a sequence of events on a road trip that could have been as uneventful as this one was profound. The film does not idolize Che Guevera, contrary to what some critics have suggested. The simplicity of the film is moving, the cast fits together brilliantly and the cinematography is simply marvellous. This film offers an unforgettable insight to Latin America, its breathtaking landscape , its history and its people. It is like reading a Marquez novel.

I didn't discuss the plot, the summary and the other details of the film on purpose. I think it is silently effective enough to arouse the viewer's curiosity in its subject. It is a testimony to the fact that low-budget and artistic films can still survive the curse of the blockbuster.

ps: To the friend who gave me the CD of 'The Motorcycle Diaries' : You know who you are, thank you. I'm sorry I didn't blog about this earlier.

3 comments:

baddi_maga said...

i liked the way they kept falling off the motorcycle [:P]

baddi_maga said...

signs of orkut addiction in the previous comment.

El Diva! said...

Yes, clearly [:-)]