Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Art Findings : Part I

As I promised in a previous post, I would find art that speaks for itself, and needs very little elucidation from the artist. My search for art, although redundant, was not futile. These pieces may have been discovered by others before me, but to me they make a first.

I saw the first piece when I read 'The Prophet' by Khalil Gibran. The book is a petite reminder of how spiritual literature can be concise,poetic and enthralling at the same time. The many illustrations by Gibran only add to its mystical quality, and make it a masterpiece nearly as profound as any sacred text. I was deeply moved by its content, despite my stubborn agnosticism. The picture here is from the illustration on the last page. If one carefully observes the outer margins, one can see figures intertwined with each other, sort of as a reminder that we come from and are cast into the same mould.



I set out in search of the abstract and found the mediveal instead! Hieronymus Bosch was a mediveal artist whose subject matter centered around hell, sin and other aspects of morality (the kind that I generally find tedious). The piece here, 'The Creation of the World',appears to have a lighter sense of damnation and a greater sense of possibility. It conforms to the Biblical interpretation of creation.I had to put it up here as Bosch, although strictly late Gothic, is regarded as one of the forerunners of surrealism. I intend to explore Bosch further,despite my abysmal leaning towards anything even remotely religious.



In all certainty, there will be a sequel to this entry sometime in the near or distant future. If anything, all fascinating art comes from the least fascinating source.

No comments: