Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Persistence of Memory and other Things

If you were to view my profile, you will see that I have uploaded Salvador Dali's 'The Persistence of Memory' as my user pic. People who have come here from orkut, will see that I have Edvard Munch's 'The Cry' as my user pic. Now, don't ask me what that means. I haven't been a great abstract art enthusiast to start with. When I was a teenager, I thought that abstract art was pretentious. I preferred classical art, the impressionists, the romantics. My favourite artist at that point of time was Vincent Van Gogh. I was quite taken by the idea of the tormented artist who gains posthumous fame. I still like Van Gogh, he's still my favourite. I love the way his work reflects his deteriorating mental state that culminated in his death.
After I entered my twenties, I started to like Picasso, Dali and Munch. I couldn't get over 'The Persistence of Memory'. My favourite would have to be 'The Cry' by Munch. Apparently Munch saw his mother dying of TB as a child. The sunset reminded him of how she had a haemorrage. Munch had a cruel father and a stormy love life. Hence, most of his paintings have women strangling men with their long hair.(That is morbidly fantastic!)
I still don't understand my sudden inclination towards morbidly fascinating abstract art. I guess it is an occupational hazard that comes with growing up. Or who knows, it could be a permanent fixture in the maze that I like to call my brain. Cheers anyway! It never hurt to sign off !

2 comments:

LINX said...

babe.. u are so totally into art forms and all that.. i've never been able to figure out what modern art is all about :P picasso and god knows what else.. btw do read 'lust for life' by Irving Stone... autobiographical fiction....

thilak said...

wonderful..Just like linx I never been into this form of art...have u seen Salvador Dali and luis bunuel's short film'Un chien andalou'..surreal and confusing..But still simply superb!!!shocking too!